Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pull Loose the Mooring, and Set Sail




A few years ago my son was doing a research report on 'Tall Ships'. Trying to be an encourager of experiential education, I found a Tall Ship that was giving sailing tours out of Morro Bay. We had a grand adventure, although my poor family had to endure it using dramamine, the land lubbers that they arrrr! ;)
(a fun note: the Lady Washington was the ship, the Interceptor, in the film, Pirates of the Carribean)

The 2hour sailing out on the ocean on this tall ship was amazing; and conjured up all sorts of images of days past, courageous voyages, desperate voyages. As a student of history, I like reading of different accounts of the past and the people. It reminded me also of the analogy my husband uses, in that, God cannot guide a ship that is safely moored in the harbour. He likens the ropes that hold us to the dock as our fears, our need to be in control of things. We are safe, but we are also limited. Yet, we can become greater because we are in God's grace; perhaps it is the fear of the greatness that holds us back? Letting go, and letting God, even while what may happen is unknown, takes a lot of courage. However, once we loose the fear that holds us, and choose to break free from the moorings, we can set sail, eyes to the horizen, the journey unfolding, with the trust in God to guide our course. What are your ropes that hold you fast, or are you sailing quick and free?


"Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it."
- Lt. John B. Putnam Jr. (1921-1944)

"You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith"
-Mary Manin Morrissey

"And where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."
-2Cor 3:17

Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!
(Good health and every good blessing to you!)

5 comments:

storyteller said...

Ah the picture (and the story about your experience with you son) both remind me of the many overnight educational trips I took with my 5th graders aboard the Brig Pilgrim in Dana Point Harbor. The program is as excellent as the trip is exhausting! We studied knot tying, bell time, sea chanteys, period history & terminology, and a host of related topics for 6 weeks before the trip and spent another 2-3 weeks on follow up after ... but I'm sure it was one field trip everyone remembers (especially standing 2 hour watches throughout the night).

I love your quotes (as always) and will think about your questions as I go about my day.
Hugs and blessings,

SecretWishes said...

Oh sounds like a really good tie you had But i am afraid I would be like the others Too many trips to Rothsay (Isle of Bute) for me no ore boats ships etc :-)

SecretWishes said...

time grrrrrrrrr and more grrrrrrrrrr cant be paying enough attention here sorry about the typos

MrsS said...

We have a tall ship in Glasgow which you might want to read about here HGF http://www.thetallship.com/gallery.shtml

Like SW I get sea sick, but can just about manage a trip to Rothesay (though it's a long time since I've done it).

Beautiful story you related - I could almost feel the wind in my face. In the words of Louisa M Alcott

“I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.”

His Girl Friday said...

Hi MrsS,
Well, Glasgow is on the list should we be able to return; meanwhile, I'll have a look.

Hi SW,
typos forgiven! ;) I've faired pretty well with lack of sea-sickness (touch wood) but I've had a bout or two...hardly pleasant ;p

Storyteller,
Sounds absolutely fabulous...wish I had that growing up, as I was down your way the latter half of my school years. lucky for me tho, my grand-dad was a merchant marine, and his father a Norwegian sailor from Oslo...plenty of maritime fables to grow a kid's eyes wide! :)