Monday, October 15, 2007

Snakes, snails and puppy dog tails



For anyone with children, I really want to recommend the 'Dangerous Book for Boys'. Per Time magazine, " it celebrates curiosity, bravery, and respectfulness, as well as an appetite for any challenge. It even vindicates the noble failure." I'll let the book speak for itself: "In this age of video games and cell phones, there must still be a place for knots, tree houses, and stories of incredible courage."



The book gives the rules of chess, poker, rules of rugby, soccer/football, directions for making a battery, a bow and arrow, secret ink; famous battles, and pirate flags. It also teaches on insects, grammar, and how to talk to girls. There's a lot more to the book, but in all honesty it encourages imagination, curiosity, and the rough and tumble
adventure that boys really do need. And, there's no reason why girls can't secretly read it too!! ;)



I've included the 'Daring book for girls' which I understand is much more than sugar, spice and everything nice. Graciousness and deportment are important, but there are a few girls, who like to climb trees, ride horses, collect tadpoles prior to putting on their dance shoes and dress for the evening out! This book is on the list to get. :)

I've included this cute video which is a neat advert for the book, and for encouraging the value of quality time with our children! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0061243582

Thanks to Felicia from HarperCollins for supplying the cute video for the 'Daring Book for Girls'! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXFkiQVs34

8 comments:

Pam said...

wish they had a video for the girls book...the video for the boy book was cute. but my boy is all grown up, only got girls left to raise. and it's up to my husband to do those kind of things w his son.

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Ciara,
I thought the same thing, still, I'm planning on getting the book for my two girls. We've had fun playing poker with the kids...the other he-man stuff, i'll leave for my hubby to do!! ;)

smallspiralnotebook said...

Hey Guys!
This is Felicia from HarperCollins. We do have a cute video for the book! :) Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXFkiQVs34

And thanks for the wonderful review of Daring/Dangerous. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Felicia
http://www.feliciasullivan.com

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Felicia!

Thanks for stopping by!!

I've updated my post for the 'Daring' video! :)

Pam said...

ooo the girls book looks like fun. i think i'm gonna try to look for it tomorrow if i can remember. lol

Pam said...

i went and searched for the girls book today...would've helped if i had remembered the authors. but that wouldn't have helped me buy the book today as it's not available yet. i found this out when i went onto the barnes n nobles website to order it. ya had to preorder...so that's what i did and along with that i ordered Slam by Nick Hornby. It's a young adult novel.

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Ciara,

oops, guess I missed that in the fine print...I'm going to order it so I'll have it for Xmas! You'll have to let me know which project you're going to do first!! I think with my son, we started with the paper aeroplanes!! :)) (the tree house/fort is next...but that's hubby's dept!! ;))

Jane said...

Hi there,
I bought the Dangerous Book for Boys last Christmas for my youngest son who loves reading and is curious about everything. I also bought it for my Dad who afterall is also a boy (but in long trousers!). He loved it - it brought back many memories for him and it also means he has something in common with his grandson to talk about. It also means of course that they get up to all sorts of mischief together........

I bought the Girls book for myself and wish I had this book when I was a much younger girl. I have therefore decided to regress and be a child all over again!!!!