Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Are you on Belay?

Over at James place there was a fun post with some funny comments. However, one of the commenters made a reference to 'not wanting to know how the story ends, which is why he doesn't want to die', but he 'didn't understand why Christians had a problem with dying'. This caused me to wonder about such a comment, and what I felt and thought about the whole thing. I only partly answered him there, assuming his prompt wasn't rhetorical. But that wasn't enough and I had to continue with this thought; so, rather than drone on there with something that not all might be interested in, I thought rather to put it here. The pic is not of me, but it well could have been me, albeit 20 years ago when I was still quite wet behind the ears and naive to the world! :)

So, my answer to D was this: I think the answer in part, is that the Christian is, human, in the sense of having that strong pull to cherish life, to be alive. Without this drive perhaps mankind would have given up, perished a long time ago.

Then I continued here in thought with this: I liken being a Christian to being on a rock climb. Cliche' maybe; but the climb up the rock is like your life, a combination of your willingness to dare, to plan, to maneuver combined with what the rock/life has to offer, the variety of holds, outcroppings there for you to grab, etc. What we are willing to chance makes for the climb; and, the belay rope (Christ) is there to catch us when we fall. Other religions have different beliefs, as well as those who choose no Creator. I respect that; and, am okay with it, so long as it doesn't impose upon my freedoms. I cringe when the Christian religion (or any religion) starts shoving rules down my throat, to be honest. For Chrisitanity, it's not supposed to be about that (but that doesn't help all those burned on the pyre, does it?)

As for the afterlife, I suppose the rockclimb applies as well. There was one particular climb that was a favourite of our climbing group, but it was a bit 'narly'. There was a point in the climb however many feet up, maybe 100-200 feet, where in order to proceed upwards, you had to side step around this massive projecting boulder. This sideways move involved absolute commitment; if you failed, there would be a pendulum type fall, if you were lead climber. The move was easier to do for the guys who were 6ft, as they easily had the reach to almost where the ledge was, merely a small jump, but for lil ole me (I'm only 5'7), the reach was more of a comittment to a careful lunge....all done blindly mind you...the rock you were on, you had to wrap yourself around it (to get around it), and couldn't see to the other side. You just had to trust that the ledge was indeed there, as you've been told. So, to the Christian, our faith tells us the ledge is there...but we still have to leap at it, blindly.


Is human nature ever completely comfortable with the unknown? History, to me, reveals persons who thirst for the truth, who are inquisitive, who want to understand and want a hands on with things. Maybe that's why having faith, especially in something intangible, can be so difficult a concept to grasp. Yet, the creation really does reveal the Creator, one really only need to pause and soften their heart to look.

13 comments:

James Higham said...

Is that actually you?

James Higham said...

Oops, I didn't read it properly.

Yes the sentiments - very true.

CherryPie said...

That is a really lovely explanation :-)

UBERMOUTH said...

Great analogy,HGF.

His Girl Friday said...

thanks all. :)

Lord T said...

Mmmm.

Its more like climbing on a face you don't know and then someone who has not made the leap before either tells you, a committed Christian, that God will put a ledge there for you. Oh and you doesn't need the rope. God will make sure you catch the ledge.

Have fun with your very short climbing experience.

:)

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Lord T,
I'll stick with a rope, thank you very much; and, thanks for your comment. :)

Lord T said...

So no big leap of faith for you then. I don't blame you.

His Girl Friday said...

on the contrary, Lord T, I'm signed on for the duration.
I'm just a conscientious rock climber, not one to throw myself off of a building just cause someone tempts me, without a rappel rope that is... :)

Lord T said...

Well that is not what faith is all about. Its taking things that you cannot see or prove and saying that you believe in them and live as if they are true.

That is why it is called a leap of faith.

Personally I like my evidence a little less tainted.

His Girl Friday said...

I rather things more scientific as well, but then as you said, it would not be faith. Just because I don't see something, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I don't see bacteria, but bacteria still causes infection.

I'm no blind follower. Christians are to test all things and hold to that which is good. However, we're not to test God; therefore, I'll use the rope. I like the old adage: trust God and keep your powder dry.

You've made some good statements Lord T; and, I'm no Christian apologist. I do believe there is more beyond the physical realm. Call me 'fruity' if you wish, but I've felt the spiritual side of things.

All in all, I think that we as human beings should do our best to do right and well by others, don't be to quick to judge, be kind to the environment, and try to leave this earth a better place for our being here. With regard to thoughts of eternity, that's for each individual to decide.

What I find interesting, though, is that Christianity is the only faith where really, it is God reaching down to man, not man working his way to heaven on his own accord. Yes, I know, there are works doctrine in the bible etc. This is no easy subject to debate...and we'll leave the discussion on Pelagius versus Augustine for a different day. :)
There is one thought, though, we'll all see and know in 'the end' won't we! ;)

Lord T said...

My view is simple. I like to look at facts and make up my own mind but I have already done a post on this. http://www.pro-liberi.com/2009/05/15/is-there-a-god/

The bottom line is that I don't know. Like many things we don't have all the facts and thus we each make a decision on what facts we have and our own bias.

I don't think people that believe in God are fruity. I believe in Alien life. A different leap of faith. What does that make me? :)

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Lord T,
I'll have a look at your post.

What does that make you?

...inquisitive and open-minded :)


Until it is proven otherwise, why can't a person hypothesize that life exists elsewhere? Even the cave paintings of early man depict images that can be interpreted as men wearing 'helmets and/or flightsuits'. Were these visions of the future, memories from the past, or actual encounters??

(these cave men could also have been really bored that day, smoked too much loco-weed, and said, 'hey, let's graffiti the cave wall!' ;)

....the trouble is, we don't know...but that makes it all part of the interest and fun to question and consider) :)