Thursday, August 14, 2008

Perspectives on Discomfort



When one considers Discomfort, most people would say that having discomfort is a bad thing. Naturally, being uncomfortable is the last thing anyone would want to be. Yet, isn't this what usually brings about introspection and change? Isn't being uncomfortable, or in need, sometimes a catalyst for invention?

Usually a spur in the side of a horse brings about forward motion. Not always, though, as there are some horses that would prefer to buck, rear, and go sideways rather than to just simply go forward. I wonder if humans aren't similar to this in some ways. Perhaps a gentle look at oneself to assess how one deals with discomfort is in order. Do you resist, fear, do your best to avoid discomfort, or the change that may be brought about by it? Or, do you embrace the challenge, not to be defeated by the discomfort, but to learn and grow from it.

Hmm, and I won't quite say that I speak from experience but I've been known to be stubborn and resistant to change, rather wanting to just argue the point at times. Not to mention avoidance of discomfort and thereby avoidance of change/growth! ;) This has definitely been a growing area for me, in that discomfort can be a good thing; and should be embraced and explored, rather than feared and avoided.

I borrowed this prayer from ER's post on Discomfort.
(and thanks, ER, for today's post inspiration)

"May God bless you with discomfort
At easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships
So that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger
At injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
So that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears
To shed for those who suffer pain, rejection, hunger and war
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness
To believe that you can make a difference in the world,
So that you can do what others claim cannot be done.
To bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor."
-St Francis of Assisi

And, thanks to CT for bringing this quote to mind today:

"Behold I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves, be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves"
--Matthew 10:16

2 comments:

MrsS said...

I thought about your 'going forward' subject recently HGF (what a coincidence). Rather than use the old Al-Anon wisdom of 'Let Go and Let God' I concluded that I'm a manipulator and fools myself into thinking that I adapt well to change! What would my life have been/will be if I listened to St Francis (which was also my father's name) but he wasn't a saint!)

Thanks so much for your teaching today. xx

His Girl Friday said...

Hi Mrs S,
I think is one of those daily reminders, about keeping our attitudes in check. We can make or break our day's outlook depending on how we wish to interpret things.

thanks for commenting! :)